Wednesday

National View: Better Off than 4 Years Ago?

Flipping through NPR's homepage, I saw an interesting little link: Are You Better Off Than Four Years Ago?

My answer to that is fortunately a resounding "Yes."  That has precious little to do with Obama, however--I've taken plenty of steps in my own life to better my position.

I've changed jobs, changed industries, mated my work ethic to fortunate circumstances, gotten back to school.

One can make a healthy argument in either direction whether or not Obama has any direct effect on my improved fortune.  Personally, I don't think it's as cut and dried as that--it's shades of gray, partial truths, incomplete data.

I tend to think anyone would have bailed out the insurance, auto, and banking industries had they been in the hot seat (Looking at you here, Ryan).  I don't care about your stance on public debt; if you're faced with the certain downsizing of tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of jobs, you're sending the cash.  No President will knowingly hurt the economy, period.  No President will go out on a limb if there's a chance the next Depression can be blamed on him.

What's that got to do with me?  The overall health of the economy is crucial to the well-being of my industry, my company, my job.  If the consumer isn't spending on luxuries, I don't have a job.  If staving off total disaster was the only thing Obama accomplished this term, I'm grateful for that.

Fun Fact: when I answered the question (morning of 9/4/12) there had been 649 clicks--390 saying "Yes," 165 "No," and 94 "The same."  Totally not scientific, and I wonder what effect the target audience (NPR listeners with internet access and free time) has on the results...


No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results