Friday

Local Corner: State Plane Usage

As much as I'd love to rag on GOP officials abusing privileges of office...these two cases highlighted here don't strike me as abuse.

Especially in the case of House Speaker Batchelder--dude used state resources to get back to his state job, and paid for it to boot.  I really don't see an issue with that.

That being said, I'm not exactly impressed by the Lieutenant Governor using state resources to save herself an hour and a half car ride to Sidney, presumably to enable her to take advantage of cheaper airfare/better flight time into Canton/Akron.  So she could take personal time.  And only pay a fraction of the total cost to fly her around to this and other trips.

I would definitely say some guidelines need to be laid down on what constitutes "appropriate" use of state resources--if it's genuinely the best way to get state officials around, great.  But if we're strictly enabling lazy habits or personal convenience, you can take that tax money and pay my tuition this semester instead, ok?

The party of small government--except when a bigger government can pay for easy air travel.


No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results