Wednesday

National View: Yelp Reviews as Political Tool?

So I'm browsing through the NPR webpage this morning...and...find this story on Yelp reviewers alternately slamming and praising Scott Van Duzer and his Big Apple Pizza.

Yelp, if you're not familiar, is an online review service.  It's used to let consumers rate local businesses--as the website says on the welcome page, "from the city's tastiest burger to the most renowned cardiologist."

I didn't expect this, but I'm not surprised.  After all, I'm one of the guys who plans to never step foot in a Chic-Fil-A establishment, and have broadcast that fact on Twitter, Facebook, and this blog.  If I used Yelp, I probably would've done it there too.

Or maybe not.  I don't use a garden trowel to cut wood, and I don't use a screwdriver as a chisel (not since I was like, 9 anyway).  Yelp doesn't strike me as the right venue to voice political opinions.

But hey, whatever.  Ultimately, that's a decision each person needs to make on their own--does the way an owner votes matter enough for you to find a different pizza joint?

In the case of myself and Chic-Fil-A, absolutely.  And in the case of "Rick B." and Big Apple Pizza it seems the same way.

Just some food for thought...


No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results