Monday

Local Corner: Occupy Columbus Told to Remove Tent

According to the Dispatch, the tent hadn't been taken down by 12:20am Monday morning, twenty minutes after the deadline.

I haven't seen the tent personally.  What I find most interesting is the comments on the Dispatch's page.  A lot of people who work downtown, complaining about a largely-abandoned tent serving as an eyesore.

That's legit, if you ask me.  You can't use a tent as a proxy in a protest.  That's got to be the weakest, most half-ass attempt at protest I've heard of.  "I'm just gonna leave this tent here as a symbol of our solidarity with the guys who are, y'know, battling cops and tear gas.  Now I gotta get to work."

Either do it or don't, c'mon.

Now, do I agree with a special law being written specifically to deal with this tent?  Not really.  The law of unintended consequences is gonna come back to bite the city on the ass for this one.  Or maybe not, as it only refers to "non-commercial" structures...I'm sure that provides enough loopholes for things the city does want to have on the sidewalks.

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results