Monday

John Edwards and His Affair

So, I heard something vague this week on NPR about John Edwards having a love child in an extramarital affair. I just now got around to looking into it, and it's not quite as sleazey as I thought it was.



Here's the scoop from NPR, here and here; two stories because they each have a fresh perspective.



I'm not sure what I feel on this issue. Since Clinton, I've had to grapple with the fact that it IS possible to lead an exceptional professional life, even if your own house isn't quite in order.



(I mean that quite literally in my own case...if you looked at my work space, and then my desk at home, you'd assume someone had ransacked my apartment because they can't belong to the same person.)



Temptation is just that...it's there, it sucks, and even the best of us succumb to it. The fact his wife and family stayed with him and supported another Presidential run (one that, in retrospect, I'm sort of glad he lost) says a lot to me.



Of course, I do not think highly of the fact he lied about the affair for a year, and only came clean after photos emerged. I give him credit for coming clean as he did...but timing is everything, and he loused that part up pretty well.



The point? I don't hate the guy and I'm not overly disgusted. But I'm glad he failed in his bid, because I do not think this country would weather a McCain presidency very well. The fact John Edwards had this skeleton in his closet, and had to lie about it during primary season, and STILL kept running for the nomination makes him completely irresponsible.



Now how about we let this drop, and not drag out the pain for the family too long? I mean since this is the 2nd time they'd have to open this wound?

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results