Thursday

How to Become a Registered Voter

So yesterday was all about moving Sarah, NOT telling you how to register to vote. My bad. Count this as Wednesday's issue, and I'll talk about the election for today.

It also gave me time to think...with fifty states, and dozens of counties per state, it'd be kinda asinine of me to issue a guide to all of them. More importantly, it's not really within my realm of influence or personal concern if everyone in Idaho is registered. SO I've decided the focus needs to be toned down to my county in all things political, starting with how to register to vote.

This blog is such a work in progress...so bear with me and feel free to offer suggestions.

How to Become a Registered Voter:
  • http://www.ohio.gov has a link right on the homepage, which sends you to the Secretary of State website. There you can download the registration form, find all the eligibility questions you could ever have, and get a list of places you can register to vote.
  • Contact the Hamilton County Board of Elections. They also have some interesting information, such as your local ballot and results.

If you're out for a walk and the urge to register your disenfranchised self to vote, drop in at any of the following locations (taken from the Ohio Secretary of State website):

  • Public libraries.
  • Public high schools or vocational schools.
  • The office of any deputy registrar of the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (where you get your license and registration).

When I came back to Ohio from Colorado, I registered to vote by just walking into the library down the street, filling out the form with my name, address, driver's license # or last 4 of my SSN, then signed it. I gave it back to the librarian, and a week or so later I got a confirmation postcard telling me my polling station.

ALSO on that postcard was a simple change of address form. When I moved from Cincinnati to Marriemont this summer, I wrote my new address on the form and dropped it in the mail. My voter registration was changed even before I'd given back the keys to my apartment. Hang onto that card, it'll simplify your life when move time comes.

That's all folks.

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results