Monday

Off-Cycle Post: Library has a New Levy on the Ballot

Reading over at The Greatest City of All, I discovered that the Columbus Metro Library has a levy on the ballot this November.  I'm glad I saw this, since I think the library here in town is one of the best I've ever seen.  Since the state cut funding to help deal with the budget crisis, we've had to lose branch hours, services, and personnel in the library system...and I'm not fond of that situation.  I am definitely in favor of this levy.

The issue is #4, and replaces the 2.2 mill levy passed in 1986.  It also increases the amount of the last levy by .6 mills, for a total of 2.6 mills.  This increases the cost of the levy by roughly $5.24/month for a $100,000 home.


Personally, when I wasn't able to afford computer access for several months last year, the library kept me in contact with the rest of the world.  I was able to do e-mail, banking, AND get all my book and entertainment needs from the library, with no upfront cost (as long as I returned the stuff on time).  Totally an essential service in this day and age.

Check out the post at TGCA, and then head over to the library's campaign site to get the full scoop.

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results