Thursday

Senator George Voinovich Set to Retire

The news is about a week and a half old (or maybe older...which shows you how well I'm paying attention) by now, but the senior Senator from Ohio is not seeking reelection in 2010.

Why? Officially because Voinovich doesn't want reelection to distract him from his work in the next two years. And also so he can spend more time with his family. I mean, the guy has spent the last 40-odd years in public service. He's been the Governor, the mayor of Cleveland, and two rounds as a US Senator. You could say that's a good enough to retire on.

Another school of thought is that the political tide is changing, and a man who spent so much of the last 8 years as a firm Bush supporter has quite an uphill struggle. I mean, there's no way in hell I'd put my vote behind Voinovich. And since Ohio actually went blue this past Presidential election, I don't think I'm alone.

Of course, I'm not much more fond of Rob Portman...but that's another discussion for another day.

This is what the Statehouse News Bureau had to say about successors, from the 12th of January...have we heard anything since then?

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results