Monday

Let's Talk Economics

I've never written a "content blog." My previous blog was about my life, so it was easy to write.

This one is more of a challenge, because I'm trying to be useful and entertaining on a subject perceived as dull. That's a tough call in this age of societal ADD. I had been posting links to news stories because I felt not enough people were up to date on events, and thought if they just saw the headline they'd go get informed.

Did that actually inform people? No...I don't think so. People have to want to click on a link, and the ones who want to already can do, from My Yahoo and iGoogle pages. That portion of my blog really wasn't accomplishing anything new or interesting, which runs contrary to my mission statement.

It also takes a lot of time to find those news stories and link to them. That's time I could be researching a topic to write a really great post about. And now that Blogger has come out with the option to schedule posts ahead of time (thank you BLOGGER!), I think the most efficient option is to write posts ahead of time. It's all about freeing up time and keeping options open.

So for now, we'll dispense with the news links...unless there are objections?

***

I was tipped to a story by my mother that I want to bring to everyone's attention. It ties in directly to politics, because the price of commodities (think oil, corn, wheat, gasoline) is a big political issue right now (think about the nonsense about suspending the gas tax--like that will actually solve anything).

MSN Money posted an article from Jim Jubak about the insane prices of oil (and other things) that actually defy the rules of supply and demand. This is due to the fact that consumers are so scared they won't be able to get what they need--gasoline is a perfect example--they are willing to pay any price as long as it keeps coming.

It doesn't matter that our oil reserves have actually gone up since last month. It doesn't matter that world usage is still 100,000 barrels LESS than what's being produced every day. The price of oil keeps going up because people are so afraid of not being able to get oil they're not thinking straight.

I'm oversimplyfing by a long shot, but that's why I linked you to Jubak's article on scarcity markets. It was a very frustrating thing to read, because it made me realize (again) just how inflated oil and food prices are right now.

Read the article, it's good food for thought. That's all I have today...this post is long enough.

No comments:

Don't See It? Search it!

Search Results